Case Study Summary_King

Hurricane Isabel occured over a two week period in September of 2003. The Tropical Depression that would later turn into Isabel started in the Atlantic Ocean. It made landfall in North Carolina and ripped through Virginia, West Virginia, and made its way into Canada. Funding for restoration topped $500,000 at the time and many federal organizations were involved for reconstruction. The most vulnerable residents were those that were trapped with no way to evacuate due to rising water. The beach tourist population became stranded without a way to safely leave, but they were also not allowed to enjoy the beach for two weeks following the Storm. The public were prepared with multiple call centers available ahead of time so that prevention of negligence could occur while families were stuck in their houses. This hurricane was fascinating to me because I lived in Northern Virginia at the time, where we were out of grade school for a few days to deal with the damage to my town. This was the first major weather hazard that I recall as a kindergarten student and I remember that the tree I loved to climb fell into our deck.

2 thoughts on “Case Study Summary_King

1. That’s rather unfortunate about your tree, but I don’t really remember this happening when I was 8 (I live in Nova as well). I do remember staying in my basement with my brothers and playing monopoly, but the hurricane didn’t hit my neighborhood all that bad except for a few fallen trees. I feel as though they should have taken a few more preventative measures for the more affected areas at the beach because those people were the most vulnerable and those that were trapped due to the flood. If we had a warning system then those people may have been able to evacuate and we could have saved more lives.

2. R.I.P. to that tree, but I bet it’s not the type of disaster that you’re able to forget easily. You mentioned that a lot of people were at risk in this disaster because they had no way to leave safely, was there any one group that was at a higher risk? (i.e. the elderly). Are there any laws in that beach area now that restrict residents from going out at certain times? I’m happy to hear that evacuation plans were already in place, I’m sure this helped a great deal. Has most of that area been reconstructed? I know, I ask a lot of questions, but hey, you did it, and good job.