Tornadoes hit Oklahoma, Arkansas; One dead, several injured

First tornadoes of 2015 hit Arkansas and Oklahoma

One person was killed and several people were injured in a tornado that hit Tulsa, Oklahoma yesterday. At least 9 people were hospitalized due to injuries, according to Oklahoma Department of Emergency Services Spokeswomen Keli Cain. Tulsa County Sheriff Cap. Billy McKevley said that the one person killed live in the mobile home park in Sand Spring, a Tulsa suburb. “It could have been much worse.” He said.

This tornado is the first in a month in the tornado-prone Midwest. In the nearby town of Moore, Oklahoma, another tornado hit, tearing off roofs, flipping cars on the highway, and strewing debris across the area. It tore off the roof of an elementary school in Moore and filled many of the classrooms with water. Tens of thousands of Oklahoma residents were without power in the wake of the storm that caused the tornado.

Governor Mary Fallin declared 25 counties in a state of emergency. In accessing damage, Fallin said, “We’ve been down this road before. We know what to do.” Of the tornado Wednesday, Mayor of nearby town Moore, Glenn Lewis, described the tornado Wednesday as “kind of like a junior storm for us.”

My thoughts on this article:

The community official’s nonchalant attitude towards the tornado alarms me. They are so confident in handling such storms, but then again they’re so accustomed to tornados. I can only hope that they’re properly prepared for the damage and the death a tornado can inflict. I also thought it was interesting that the article says that the last time there were almost no tornados in March was 50 years ago. I wonder if that will be “made up for” as to say, in the coming months this year.

http://news.yahoo.com/tornadoes-hit-oklahoma-arkansas-1-dead-several-injured-061723195.html