CASE STUDY SUMMARY_Eyob

I chose to do my case study of the 2004 indian Ocean Tsunami. Mostly, because I remeber being in the 4th grade during it, and everyone talking about how a giant wave stopped the world from spinning for a whole 3 seconds, shaving that time off of our life. Turns out, that was nothing but a rumor made uo by children who couldnt understand the entierty of what was going on, but my interest was piqued.

The tsunami was the result of a 9.3 M underwater earthquake along 2 faults on the northern side of Sumtra. When considering the fact that tsunamis gain speed at deeper depths, and the average depth f 4 km in the Indian Ocean, it let the waved reach a speed of up to 720 km per hour, or about the speed of a jet liner. the waves slowed down marginally as it neared shore, but even the shallowness of the coastal shelf was not enough to deter the massive waves from washing up on shore, up to 2,000 meters inland.

In the aftermath of the waves, it ws discvoered that there had been approxiamtely 230,000 deaths scattered throughout the 14 countries bordering the Indian Ocean that were hit by the tsunami. Relief efforts poured in from around the globe, creating one of the largest civil recovery efforts ever. The recunstruction of the destroyed lands had been a slow process, just because there was so much to do, but by the 10 year mark, the recovery efforts had finally been able to show exactly what it had all been for, as the=ose countries looked like they had never been touched.

Since the 2004 tsunami, there has been the creation of an undersea earthquake monitoring system that had successfully notified the population of possible tsunami inducing events in the indian Ocean, allowing the population to understand more about how to prepare themselves in case the events of December 26th, 2004 ever repeat themselves again.

2 thoughts on “CASE STUDY SUMMARY_Eyob

1. This is a very interesting case study and it was cool to see your reasoning for choosing that. It sounds like that was a really bad tsunami and I would be interested to know what kind of alert systems were set up in place prior to this devastating natural disaster. It also sounds like one of the worst tsunamis in a long time because of the amount of deaths that washed up from all different 14 countries. I would also be curious to know how vulnerable the population was and if some areas were better prepared than others. I really liked the picture because it gave me some in sight into how high and powerful the waves were. Overall this was an incredibly case study to learn about and I enjoyed it quite a bit!

2. I also remember hearing about this when I was little. I was fascinated by it and read anything I could find on it. The Tsunami hit caused damge in so may counties it was hard for me imagine. It is sad that it took one of the worst disasters in human history to install a Tsunami warning system in the Indian Ocean I am glad to hear that the countries are mostly finished rebuilding. I enjoyed reading your case study.