Case Study Summary Schwaiger

I chose to write about the 2010 Eyjafjallajökull eruption in Iceland because I grew up in Germany, and was directly impacted by this eruption.  This volcanic eruption took place over the course of several months in 2010, and can be divided into three distinct stages.  The second stage of this eruption expelled fine ash particles over eight kilometers into the air, and wholly disrupted air travel between the Americas and Europe.  While the eruption itself yielded only minimal danger to the populous of Iceland, the ash cloud created of the second phase of this election affected the Northern hemisphere as a whole.

2 thoughts on “Case Study Summary Schwaiger

1. I don’t think I could pronounce the name of that eruption if my life depended on it. Aside from that, I was wondering how specifically Icelanders and locals were affected by this eruption. Was the volcano simply spewing ash and ash clouds over this period of time? Was this a normal occurrence that people generally had some form of preparation for? For how long did the ash prevent air travel, and was this the only hazard created? This seems like a unique case study and I’d be interested to read more about it!

2. Interesting topic! It certainly makes sense that the ash cloud would disrupt air travel. I am curious as to how it affected air quality on the island and if there are any identifiable health patterns starting to show as a result. To what extent did the ash cloud affect the German city you lived in? I am definitely interested in reading more into this event and to learn about mitigation efforts going forward.