Case Study Summary_Mumenthaler

Case: My case study was on super typhoon Megi which was a category 5 typhoon. I chose it because I had lived in the Philippines for almost 2 years and it resonated with me. It made landfall on the Philippines, passed off the coast of Taiwan, and finally made landfall on mainland China. During its path south east of the Philippines and until it made its final landfall in China, it caused over $679 million in damages and killed 69 people in the Philippines and Taiwan, with no deaths in China. Overall, the storm was predicted well in advance, and alerts were regularly updated. Additionally, travel was suspended as necessary and schools were closed. When the storm passed, the respective governments stepped in to aid their people. Additionally, the Red Cross, Child United, and the United States stepped in to aid where they could. The United States sent USS. Essex Expeditionary Strike Group which had several warships in it to the Philippines to help with disaster relief.

Figure one demonstrates the path that typhoon Megi took.

Analysis: What made this storm so special and powerful was that it did not lose any force upon hitting the Philippines. This was largely in part to due to the incredibly warm waters that helped fuel this powerful typhoon. Additionally, when the typhoon neared Taiwan, it merged with an approaching storm and this resulted in extra heavy rainfalls which further devastated the country. However, the storm could have done a lot more harm, especially in China, where there were no deaths. This case just demonstrates how well prepared and used to typhoons most south east Asian countries are. Furthermore, with the aid of international aid organizations, the United States, and the countries respective governments there was good cohesion in tackling the crisis and rebuilding the countries.

Conclusion: Because these countries have a history of such disasters, they have developed effective methods of dealing with such issues, and the local People know what to do when these storms hit. The trickiest part in this case was that remote villages and farmers were hit the hardest, but governments were able to step in and help them rebuild and restore their livelihoods. If this case had taken place in the United States, or in Europe, where people have never experienced a typhoon, then the death and damage toll would have been a lot higher.

2 thoughts on “Case Study Summary_Mumenthaler

1. It is amazing how much money they had to spend to repair the damages, yet only 69 people died. Although it is extremely unfortunate that they died, I expected the number to be higher, especially considering the power of this typhoon. It is also amazing that no one died in China even though they were hit with such a powerful typhoon. It is good to know that they received so much help after the event and that the countries knew in advance that it was coming and prepared effectively for it.

2. I was also pleasantly surprised that relatively few people died from such a powerful typhoon, yet caused so much financially. I’m very impressed by how efficiently and effectively the countries’ governments were able to prepare their citizens. The idea relating to if a storm of Megi’s strength had hit Europe or the United States could also be true, however I think that with our technology and knowledge of how those kinds of typhoons can damage a nation, we could nearly adequately prepare for such a hazard (at least I hope!).